Tuesday, February 26, 2013

// // Leave a Comment

Using Chrome Profiles for Development setup

Part of a being developer is doing a lot of research on the net. However, i find myself quiet annoyed many times when personal tabs and work tabs get intermingled. Chrome has an elegant solution to this - user profiles.

This allows you to have multiple chrome windows, each within a specific context. For instance, I have 3 profiles

  1. Personal - this is where i'm signed into Facebook, Gmail etc...
  2. Work profile - All my work related bookmarks live in this profile, along with any work related sites signed in.
  3. Personal Work Profile - this is for my current side-project with links to the development server site and Heroku, GAE etc signed in and bookmarked as well.

This makes it easier to switch context and open up tabs in the correct windows, so that i don't have to hunt through the usual hundreds of tabs that i would typically have open on a regular day / night.

Personally, I love the little Avatars that show up on the top left corner helping me identify the context that i am currently in. If you want to make this more explicit, then set up different themes for each of the profiles.

Screenshot         Screenshot

Even though each of the profiles can be linked to a gmail account, I prefer to not have my work and personal work profiles logged in simply to make it harder for me to randomly open up gmail and other stuff in the work context.

To activate this go to Chrome > Settings > Users. it should be pretty obvious from there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment